Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Partisan? Maybe. New? Absolutely NOT!

Cindy Sheehan was invited to the State of the union address by Rep. Lynn Woolsey, (D- Calif). She was subsequently removed by authorities because she was wearing an anti-war tshirt. I can see the stormwave on the horizon: accusations of first amendment rights violations, partisan discrimination, sour grapes, etc.

But... hold on!

Before we go to far with this, let's step into our time machine and rewind the clock...

During the Impeachment hearings of Bill Clinton, David Delp, a guest of Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), showed up wearing an anti-Clinton tshirt. He was removed by authorities and banned from the Capitol for the rest of the day.

So, please, let's keep this in perspective. I am as passionate as anyone about my beliefs. I have an "Anyone but Hillary 2008" bumper sticker on my car and I proudly display my "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy" membership card. Sometimes people who don't agree with me respond passionately to my admittedly inflammatory display of my politcal views. The fact is that if you are going to wear a tshirt in opposition, in a venue where you KNOW it will get attention, you have to face the consequences, just as I do when somebody flips me off because of my bumper sticker. We don't do things like this because we want to remain anonymous, now do we?

1 Comments:

Blogger samspapillon shared these words of wisdom...

Well stated. Seems today the only freedom of speech that is allowed is by the libs. Can't tell you that it breaks my heart to remind them that law works for everyone.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home